Featured Slider

Friday, December 7, 2012

Playing In Paradise #96 - Winter Birds

TGIF Everyone!  Normally, everyday is like a Friday for me, since I only have to go downstairs to my "office" and my "work" is something I love, but this has been a long kind of stressful week for me with refinancing going on for our house (we close in a couple days -- YEA!) and Christmas shopping (all online so not as much hassle, but still a little time consuming).

However, I do have something even more exciting to add --- this week I am the Guest Designer for the Playing in Paradise challenge over at Scrapbooker's Paradise!  I won Challenge #94.  You can see the card I won with here.  Not only did I win a crafty prize, I get to be a part of the team for this week's challenge.  So much fun!  I definitely feel like Christmas has come early for me!


So this week's Playing in Paradise theme is Winter Birds.   An easy challenge, I thought, only I discovered I have very few bird stamps and at first I was a little stumped at what to do.  They would have been ok, but I also wanted to use my fir tree branch stamps I received in my prize package from another Scrapbooker's Paradise designer, Jessi Fogan.  So, what to do?   I dug out an old painting stencil, a cardinal, that I have had for years. 

And this is what I created:


I'm very happy with it too!  The bird came out really beautifully.  I taped the plastic stencil down on watercolor paper.  Then, I covered his beak before doing a kind of sponge painting on him with Fire Brick distress ink mixed with water.  On top of that, I sprayed some Postbox Red Dylusions paint and topped that off with some homemade Red Spice Glimmer Mist.  For the beak I added a bit of straw distress ink.  I then colored the mid scection of his beak black with a sponge pencil and black pigment ink and a black Copics marker.  You can't see it very well in the photo, but I added a black gem for his eye too.

The pine needles and pine cones are Inkadinkadoo stamps (part of my prize pack from Jessi Fogan).  I love these!  I stamped them and cut them out for more depth.  I attempted to add a little gold glitter to the pine cones for a little glimmer.  I must invest in one of those glitter pens!  LOL  The birdhouse in the background is a Sizzix die and I used patterned paper from Anna Griffin.  I used the same paper for the sentiment tag as well, tying off the tag with thin kraft string.  Everything is adhered to the cream background that is embossed with a Spellbinders' M-Bossabilities folder.

I may have gotten off with a slow start with this one, but I had a lot of fun putting it together and seeing it all fall into place.  I want to thank Pam and all the other designers at Scrapbooker's Paradise for having me guest design.  So much fun!  I hope I get to do it again sometime in the future!

Have a great weekend and I hope you give this challenge a try and peak in at Scrapbooker's Paradise and check out all the other designer's cards!

Blessings!

5 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

So glad you could play with us :) I love how resourceful you were in creating a winter bird! It turned out incredible. Glad you dug into your prize some more too :)

Linda Pekrul said...

I LOVE this card! I can see why you wanted to use the new stamps - they are fabulous. I really like your embossed background too. The whole card is very colourful and Christmassy, and puts a smile on your face!

Allison Rankin said...

What a unique idea to pull out the stencil...it all came together just lovely!

fairyrocks said...

Thank You so much for being our Guest Designer this week Nance.
Stunning card work. Keep smiling and creating

Notes by Nina said...

Fabulous card Nance, I love the layers. Congrats on being Guest Designer with us this week :).