Featured Slider

Thursday, September 1, 2016

End PKD - PKD Awareness Day 2016


Twenty years ago this month, I was diagnosed with ADPKD (Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease), which is an un-curable, genetic disease.  

I have been EXTREMELY LUCKY. My ADPKD has not progressed as most others' does. I'm 53 and my kidneys are as healthy as they were 20 years ago when I was diagnosed. They aren't normal by any stretch, but I haven't had the problems most people do.  My ADPKD showed up during exploratory surgery for possible endometriosis. They discovered cysts on both my kidneys and on my liver.   I have a very mild case.  My nephrologist is confident that I will not progress to the point of ever needing a kidney transplant nor even dialysis.  My sons both have a 50/50 chance of having ADPKD also, which is usually not diagnosable until later in adulthood.

So I made a card to help promote PKD Awareness today --- 




I used a ribbon die from Verve Stamps, heart die from Paper Sweeties, alphabet die from Lil' Inker Designs, the emboss folder is by Darice and the stamped letters are an old set from whom I am not sure and they are stamped in Bermuda Bay ink.


For Following Challenges:



If you would like to learn more about PKD and APKD, you can go to the PKD Foundation.

"Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease, ADPKD, is one of the most common, life-threatening genetic diseases. In ADPKD, fluid-filled cysts develop and enlarge in both kidneys, eventually leading to kidney failure. It is the fourth leading cause of kidney failure and more than 50 percent of people with ADPKD will develop kidney failure by age 50. Once a person has kidney failure, dialysis or a transplant are the only options

Unlike some genetic diseases, ADPKD does not skip a generation meaning it often affects many people in one family. Approximately 10 percent of the people diagnosed with ADPKD have no family history of the disease, with the disease developing as a spontaneous (new) mutation. Once a person has ADPKD, even through a spontaneous mutation, they have a 50 percent chance of passing it on to each of their children." ~ PKD Foundation



Healthy Blessings!
 photo signaturesmall_zpsbe1728fc.jpg

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Very interesting, Nance. I'm glad you don't have a bad case and hope you and your boys won't ever have any problems from it! Love the Bermuda Bay with the white! A clean, crisp combination!

Leigh Penner said...

Wonderful take on the sketch!