Featured Slider

Monday, June 4, 2012

Cute Hoots!








It's double duty tonight.  Did these over the weekend and just about forgot to post them for the Moxie Gingham Challenge.  Not so bad to be almost late this time since it means I have become so engrossed in creating I lose track of time.




Everything started with the owl.  Do I use a stamped image?  Do I use a die cut?  Nope.  I found a great little template from Heidi at Honeybearlane.com.  She used the template for a sewn applique but I just scaled down the template to make this little guy out of felt.  I just fell in love with him!  So much, I made a few more.

I actually only used the body and mask template for my owl.  His wings are actually from a leaf die from Taylored Expressions.  The owl's eyes are buttons with pearl gems glued in the center.  I used embroidery thread to make the tassel on the cap.

I used a label die and cut it up to make the sentiment sign so that it would resemble a diploma, inked the edges in black and tied ribbon around the end.

I 've been wanting to use my new Sizzix blossom framelits and this was the perfect project to do so.  The blossoms are layers of pink gingham paper, pink felt and DP paper.  I inked the petals, used a little pink smooch and some pearl Glimmer Mist to give them some sheen and shine.   The large flower has a black flowered brad for the center, which I think goes well with my stamped blossom floral background.  Wasn't really attempting to, but I think both give the card an Asian feel.

For the background, I used the TPC blossom stamps and colored them with Copics to compliment the DP layer of my blossoms.  I also embossed the background with one of the new Spellbinders M-Bossabilities, reversible emboss folders.  After placing it on brown cardstock, I smooched the edges of the paper.

Inside of Card


Since my project was part of a graduation gift ensemble, I decided to also make a gift bag to go with the card.  I used the Sizzix small gift bag die.  And, of course, I just had to make a blossom for the bag!






SPIES:  
Stamps:  Blossoms(TPC);  Sentiment (Fiskars).
Paper:  White, brown, rose cardstock.  DP.  Pink, brown, black, yellow felt for owls.
Ink:  Jet Black (Staz On);  Rose (Colorbox). Pink Smooch.  Copics.
Extras:  Imperial Emboss folder (Spellbinders), Blossom Framelits (Sizzix), owl template (HoneyBearLane), gift bag die (Sizzix), Yellow embroidery thread, black decorative brad, green decorative brad, black ribbon, pink ribbon, plastic buttons, white and pink gems.

CHALLENGES:
Moxie Fab Gingham Challenge
Passionately Artistic Linking Party

Here is the template I used for the owl.  If you click on the pic, it will take you to the template page at Honeybearlane.com.  So cute!






1 comment:

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh my cuteness! Love the awesome buttons you used for the eyes, and I just want to pet those cutie owls :)